Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Wood Wood Wood

I am doing fantastic! In the third week of a 9 month course on wood frame construction in beautiful historic mediaeval Parthenay. The teacher is totally a real-world person who is all about profitability, efficiency, low-fatigue, environmental responsibility. We are learning (theoretically and practically) how to build a house from A to Z, starting with making our own architectural designs (we worked a bit on his house, and are working currently on some simple cafeteria tables).
The course alternates between a few weeks at the school (class/workshops) and a few weeks with an enterprise. I was fortunate enough to find two enterprises in the same village (named Burie), and even more fortune to find lodging a hundred meters from the two enterprises with a friend I made at Vipassana France back in March. He sold his pizzeria in Bordeaux and bought a huge old stone and wood house in very poor shape for very cheap money, and is slowly renovating it. In exchange for my own private room in the house, I will help him renovate the house (for example there is a 1 meter square hole in the tiled roof). Wherever I turn, there is opportunity to learn how to construct and problem solve! Stephanie is still working at a vineyard near Cognac until September, and after hopes to do a year course in organic agriculture advising, advising farmers, supermarkets, cafeterias, etc. on how to turn organic.


I am in great shape, am helping out here at the youth hostel with the garden and also with turning an old busted piano into a bar. My French is great, and my ability to focus is very agreable!!

Stephanie is totally fantastic, I do not see a horizon to our relationship even from the top of a tower.

My social life has become lots more busy, and this is the reason I haven't made the time to write here more often. I haven't forgotten you! Talk soon!

Cheers,
Maurizio

No comments: