Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Vietnamese-Parisien:Italo-Canadian-Welsh-Antwerpen

I write from a cyber cafe. Shaj Mahal, something like that. Rue d'Italy. South Paris. Got time until my ride to Brussels. Ate Vietnamese for lunch. 4 different sorts of hot sauce. Went to town. Sorry stomache! Noodles. Peanuts. Runny nose. That omnipresent white cartoon kitty statue with Chinese writing along it on a vertical axis. A big bronze-coloured happy fat Buddha with arms raised in the air, holding bags of candy in each hand. An uncanny ecstatic smile on his face. Shrimps, chicken, nose really running, lips burning, tongue burning. Cafe to finish it off: for 'digestion'. I learned coffee, like hard liquor after a meal doesn't Ã¢ctually help digestion, but pauses digestion in order to quickly digest the caffeine or alcohol, and then continues later on. Five hour car ride from La Rochelle. Drive reminded me of an ex-girlfriend, but has the name of my current one. Tanned, tattooed, dark hair, makeup, MTV top20 from the past five years playing the whole time. Meditated a bit, but man, i've really lost the willpower and motivation. When I finally get around to it, I will have a load to bring into balance. Reading Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon. What a writing style. Very difficult to get into, to get accustomed to. Informal, psychedelic, stream-of-consciousness, dark comedy. Brilliant, I think.

Planning to hike up the Cathedral of Notre Dame, heard of a great view. Looking forward to nonna's cooking, little Phillip's sausage toes and fingers, Sophie's delightful Kenyan-English accent, and Stefano's sarcastic sense of humor. Antwerpen, I'm coming!

No comments: